[teacherartexchange] Service Learning Opportunity - Artists to Soldiers

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 26 2006 - 08:21:40 PST

Dear Art Educators and all List Members,

I am sharing this to Net Gold list too... Homeschoolers will be interested.

This might be a great opportunity for you to get some technology
equipment.... or some other materials....I just found out about this
project:

Artists to Soldiers (brand new)
http://www.artiststosoldiers.org/

I think participation in this would fall in the category of service
learning - for which there are many state and local grants (I got a
$500 grant for a Service Learning Project I did).

This is from Al Williams:

I'm organizing something called the 'Artists To Soldiers Project'.
It's an attempt to put together a portable, mini-art-gallery (10 - 12
printed sheets) of artwork created to let soldiers on active duty know
that we (civilians) are thinking about them.
http://www.ArtistsToSoldiers.org These gallery packages will be made
available (at no cost) to military families to send to their soldiers.

The initial 'test market' package (to gauge interest) will consist of
4 pieces by professional artists, 4 of art created by children and 4
from artists that are also veterans. If the project proves itself to
be popular, separate gallery packages for 'Artists To Soldiers',
'Children To Soldiers' and 'Veterans To Soldiers' (10 -12 printed
pieces of art each) will be developed from which to choose.
If anyone wants to send in a sample for him to display on the site -
please contact him directly. I am not linking the project up until the
web site is complete.

Contact Al Williams designer@awshadows.com

I Like Al already.... Check out his personal web site:
http://www.awshadows.com/
Gosh now I have to head off to the antique store to buy a barrel for
him to carve for me....He does beautiful work. A REAL Craftsman.

Note to Al: Thanks Al for sharing this with us. I will get the idea to
the Ed Tech list too. As digital art may be the way many teachers will
want to pursue this - through digital prints of student work.

Regards,

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/