Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

[teacherartexchange] Service Learning Opportunity - Artists to Soldiers

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 26 2006 - 08:21:40 PST

Dear Art Educators and all List Members,

I am sharing this to Net Gold list too... Homeschoolers will be interested.

This might be a great opportunity for you to get some technology
equipment.... or some other materials....I just found out about this

Artists to Soldiers (brand new)

I think participation in this would fall in the category of service
learning - for which there are many state and local grants (I got a
$500 grant for a Service Learning Project I did).

This is from Al Williams:

I'm organizing something called the 'Artists To Soldiers Project'.
It's an attempt to put together a portable, mini-art-gallery (10 - 12
printed sheets) of artwork created to let soldiers on active duty know
that we (civilians) are thinking about them. These gallery packages will be made
available (at no cost) to military families to send to their soldiers.

The initial 'test market' package (to gauge interest) will consist of
4 pieces by professional artists, 4 of art created by children and 4
from artists that are also veterans. If the project proves itself to
be popular, separate gallery packages for 'Artists To Soldiers',
'Children To Soldiers' and 'Veterans To Soldiers' (10 -12 printed
pieces of art each) will be developed from which to choose.
If anyone wants to send in a sample for him to display on the site -
please contact him directly. I am not linking the project up until the
web site is complete.

Contact Al Williams

I Like Al already.... Check out his personal web site:
Gosh now I have to head off to the antique store to buy a barrel for
him to carve for me....He does beautiful work. A REAL Craftsman.

Note to Al: Thanks Al for sharing this with us. I will get the idea to
the Ed Tech list too. As digital art may be the way many teachers will
want to pursue this - through digital prints of student work.

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department
Incredible Art Resources

To unsubscribe go to