[teacherartexchange] Cutting down - or eliminating - state mandated minutes for ART

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Feb 25 2006 - 10:59:26 PST

Dear Art Educators,

I am bringing this topic to this list.... It came up on Art Education.
How wide spread it this problem? It hit Ohio several years ago...
There are NO requirements now for visual arts in the middle school
(only a fine art - which can be music).

How has NCLB affected your mandate - are there still mandated minutes
for visual art - or has the requirement been replaced simply with
required 40 minute prep time each day for core teachers? NYS cut the
time down to 40 minutes for visual art (in at least one school that
was posted).

Do we have any administrators listening? Do we have any government
officials listening? Corporate American does NOT just want people who
know their numbers.... they want CREATIVE people who know how to use
the numbers.... they want the well rounded individual. I KNOW this is
true.

I am wishing and hoping the pendulum will swing back again.... once
"they" see the error of their ways and realise ART is the most
important subject in school. Why are they trying to mold everyone into
their cookie cutter student? ART teaches all (smile).

Any one else want to join me on my soap box (LOL)?.... I found a
pretty big one - there is room for more.

Regards,

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/