[teacherartexchange] Park District Classes

---------

From: marcia (marciadotcom_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Feb 24 2006 - 19:40:34 PST

Hello everyone,
I'm going to be teaching some park district classes
this summer and I thought I would brainstorm some
ideas here.
A little background about me: currently I'm teaching
elementary art and I've been on this listserve for
about 5 years.. I read most every message that goes
through and sometimes reply. I'm developing 4 classes
for this summer and I'll take note of any suggestions
you have for projects. These are more of arts and
crafts kind of classes, so some of the projects can be
kind of crafty. The classes are short, varying
between 4-8 hour long sessions.. so I want the
projects to be easy to make.

Alphabet Art, for ages 4-6:
  B: bird collages with birdseed glued down and
construction paper birds or maybe a bird sculpture
with various materials
  S: spirals, swirls... make a spiral mobile by
decorating and cutting a paper plate into a spiral
shape, hang with yarn
  F: fish.. maybe a fish painting, or a fish made from
model magic,
  H: hats, hearts..
  C: car.. a drawn picture of a car, or decorate a
template of a car.. glued onto a background with
tracks made by rolling toy cars through paint
  N: necklace

Homemade Jewelry, ages 8-12
  I'm thinking I will show them how to make necklaces
and bracelets with embroidery floss, using various
knotting and macrame type techniques that I know.
Maybe get some alphabet beads to spell words... make
a daisy out of beads.. make a knotted keychain... make
some pendants using shrinky dink material.. pony beads
on wire, making beads by rolling magazine paper

Art All About Me ages 6-12
  Self Portraits (drawn and collaged), Decoupaged
Picture Frame, Personal Mask (either from paper mache
or plaster strips), Painted/Decoupaged/Decorated Door
Hanger

Clay ages 8-12
I have a ton of ideas for this class, but any
successful ideas that can be done in a short time are
welcome.

Thanks in advance! See ya at the conference! Marcia
in WI