Re: [teacherartexchange] raise that bar

---------

From: Mikel Lee (mikellee31_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Feb 24 2006 - 16:44:44 PST

Personally, I have found that the one guaranteed sure
way to have my students raise "their bar" is to
require them to exhibit. It takes more work on my
part, but I make everyone show their art work. Even if
it is just in the hallway. They want to look good in
front of others and if they know it is going up for
better or worse they will rise to the occasion.

My Middle schoolers also like when I let the other
classes view their art and vote on favorites and write
comments for the artist. They all just need to know
that their art is valued and will have an impact on
the world.

 I think it is that way for me too. I had trouble
creating art when I first graduated and began teaching
because I felt like I had lost my audience. There were
no more critiques to work for or end of term
shows...and it seemed like teaching sapped my creative
juices for my own art work. Now I teach in a district
that requires us to show and has a lot of things for
the instructors and I am really enjoying producing art
that is not for a demo or example. - Mikel in OK