Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: [teacherartexchange] ceramic bobblehead dolls

From: Sidnie Miller (smiller_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Feb 24 2006 - 12:09:27 PST

Sounds like you have it. The head is like a little bowl with a thick upper part. It needs to be long enough to cover the spring part. You coil wire around a pencil or something to make the spring. Make sure you make the holes in the neck and top of head before you fire the pots. Also--make sure the feet are really big or put the figure on a little platform or it will always be tipping over when it bobbles.

>>> 02/23/06 6:05 PM >>>
Hi all,

Next quarter I will have my 7th and 8th grade students
working with clay. I want to have them make ceramic
bobblehead dolls.

I am unsure as to how to construct the mechanism that
makes them bobble.

Do any of you know/have instructions regarding how to
make a ceramic bobblehead bobble? I was thinking to
extend the upper body into a cone shape and then
spiral a length of wire into a spring shape and twist
it onto the cone shape of the body and then do the
same for the interior of the head. It may be hard to
build a cone shape inside the head though. I am also
not sure how strong the wire should be to support the
ceramic head.

Any ideas? Your help is greatly appreciated!

Do You Yahoo!?