[teacherartexchange] Information on Jewish Calendar and Jewish Artists

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Feb 23 2006 - 03:59:53 PST

Dear Art Educators,

I received this EXCELLENT message from Diane K. I am in 100% agreement
with her. I can tell she sensed my "apprehensiveness" about posting
the tzedakah box (I still think it is doable in public schools - as a
means of teaching respect for beliefs and values. I believe the
tzedakah boxes connect all religions - similar beliefs and values).
Generally, the religion of the artists was not brought up in my
lessons.... I did bring it up with George Segal. My kiddies did look
at his Holocaust work. I did a social comment sculpture lesson with my
students (lesson is on IAD).

From Diane K:

Below is some information about the Jewish calendar, and why Yom
Hashoah is on a "different day" each year. The Jewish calendar, like
the Chinese calendar, is a lunar/solar calendar (the Islamic calendar
is strictly lunar, which is why holidays are not tied to a season in
Islam, but are tied to seasons in the Jewish and Chinese calendar).

ANYWAY, for Jewish art month, I would promote learning about Jewish
artists: Marc Chagall, El Lissitzky , Amedeo Modigliani, Chaim
Soutine , Ben Shahn , George Segal , Diane Arbus , Judy Chicago ,
Helen Frankenthaler , Helen Frankenthaler , Roy Lichtenstein , Louise
Nevelson , Nancy Spero , Miriam Schapiro and Jonathan Borofsky, to
name just a few.......some are/were religous, some were not, all were
born Jewish (and will die/have died Jewish).
http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Judaism/artists.html

I would not teach public school kids to make Jewish ritual objects,
except maybe, like you mentioned, the tzedakah box.....but I would
teach students about the broad range of Jewish artists, just like for
Black History month, there is a broad range of African-American
artists to choose from. Forget the religious school crafts (I do that
with the students in our synagogue, but I also try to turn them on to
fine art). Don't just concentrate on the Holocaust (although it needs
to be remembered), celebrate the beauty and diversity of life! (Just
like we don't just concentrate on slavery/the misery of the
African-American experience but explore the range of African-American
art expressions).

Jewish Calendar
Holidays are celebrated on the same day of the Jewish calendar every
year, but the Jewish year is not the same length as a solar year on
the Gregorian calendar used by most of the western w...
www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Judaism/calen... [Found on MSN
Search, Yahoo! Search]

Yom Hashoah
(Holocaust Remembrance Day) 27 Nisan

May 5, 2005
April 25, 2006
April 15, 2007
April 2, 2008
April 21, 2009

http://www.myjewishlearning.com/holidays/About_Jewish_Holidays/Five_Year_Calendar.htm?OVRAW=%22jewish%20calendar%22&OVKEY=the%20jewish%20calendar&OVMTC=standard
Diane had the artists above hyperlinked. I will provide links on a
page for IAD (this will be on my "to do" list for April).

Why do I want you to teach about Jewish culture? I want you to teach
about ALL religions of the world. How many of you teach about art of
the Renaissance? Much of the work was about religion. How many of you
teach about Egyptian art? Much of that was about religion as well...
African art? - That too is art about religion.

Thanks Diane.... If we are to see change in the world... It must begin
with the CHILDREN. They are in YOUR hands. I will tell you OFF LIST
why I am so adamant about teaching Jewish Culture and Respect for
Judaism (all I will tell you to the list is it has to do with a man
named Joe L - I wanted his as our VP in 2000).

Regards,

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/