[teacherartexchange] Fun Fact: Piggy Bank History - Lesson Idea

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Feb 23 2006 - 03:33:40 PST

Greetings Art Educators,

I know none of you need a lesson plan to go along with a Piggy Bank.
Scads of lessons are out there already. Michal Austin has a good one
on her site.
(Michal - I may grab one image for and add to the pre-Columbian animal
lesson plan of IAD).

http://inventors.about.com/library/inventors/blpiggybank.htm
"No one invented the piggy bank. The piggy banks' origin owes more to
the history of language, than to an individual inventor. In old
English (around the 15th century) there was a word "pygg" which
referred to a type of orange clay. People made all kinds of useful
objects out of clay, including dishes and jars to hold spare change.
Around the 18th century, the word "pygg" now sounded the same as the
word for the animal "pig". An unknown person(s) thought to shape a
"pygg" jar, to look just like a real "pig". Perhaps an order came in
for a "pygg" jar and the potter misunderstood." (copied from
About.com)
More on History:
http://www.piggybankpage.co.uk/piggy_bank_history.htm

http://www.enchantedlearning.com/crafts/Piggybank.shtml
EASY lesson for making any kind of animal (with round body)....I
Posted a dragon lesson that is made the same way. I will add this link
to the Dinosaur lesson on IAD. (FYI - Enchanted Learning is moving to
subscription service.... don't know how long their resources will be
free online to non-subscribers..... I know this is no great loss to
you folks as you don't need their resources).

Similar "how to"
http://www.squiglysplayhouse.com/ArtsAndCrafts/Crafts/PiggyBank.html

Photographs and facts about Piggy Banks:
http://www.piggybankpage.co.uk/
A selection of photographs of some 20th century British and European
Piggy Banks, with a little background history of the potters and
potteries that made them.

Collection of photographs:
http://home.flash.net/~gemoore/pig1.html

Why am I posting this? Well.... I am not an "idiot" - I know that many
of you have students of very close minded parents.... Parents who will
not allow a "Tzedakah Box" in their home......(I have dealt with
parents like that.... it is very sad.... it is up to YOU to change
things. Let me know if you want my stories).

From my post the other day:

Shayne sent me this link that has some great resources for Tzedakah Boxes
http://www.bjetoronto.org/link.tzedakah.html

Now.... go back and look at the all of the beautiful "money/charity
boxes" links I posted (smile).... and to all my Jewish list friends,
please accept my apology for connecting Piggy Banks to "Tzedakah
Boxes" - I know they are not the same thing.
But you, too, know how the minds work of some folks.

Happy Lesson Planning.....

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/