[teacherartexchange] TAB Choice Yahoo List - Check out the "Good Stuff"

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Feb 22 2006 - 14:11:58 PST

Dear Pre-Service Art Teachers and Veteran Art Teachers,

I would like to again invite you to join in TAB Choice Yahoo list....
lurk for a while....browse the archives.....

There have been some VERY good discussions lately on TAB Choice list
(Teaching for Artistic Behavior) about the problems and the pluses of
TAB Choice. When you go to the site - click back the messages to see
the first post made by Deborah - and all the replies to her post.

# 2937 Choice Troubles - by Deborah:

The responses are all great..... The majority of the posts in the list
archives tell you all about the wonderful things that are happening in
the classrooms.... There are also the downsides, too (wasting of
materials is one problem - I remember Kathy D's post about "when bad
things happen to good art supplies").

With TAB Choice, students are behaving like REAL artists. They are
choosing their own subject matter, their own materials, developing
their own style. This is not to say they are not doing art history as
well. One way to do art history is through the STUDENT work. This is
done through a clothes line museum in Kathy Douglas's room. Student
work is displayed right along with master work and the lessons in
style are reinforced.... comparisons made - etc. There are no "in the
style of" lessons in Kathy's room. Kathy makes the connection to art
history using the student work after the art making. (Kathy - if you
see this - YOUR Art History Museum might be a good School Arts
article).

When I last viewed Kathy's web exhibit - I had lots of fun coming up
master artists who also worked "in the style of" her students.... I
just might have to do that again.

I know what some of you are thinking.... TAB Choice is not just giving
"free time" everyday..... TAB Choice does not mean you don't have
detailed lesson plans to write.... The lesson plans are just
different. TAB Choice does not mean you sacrifice quality. Browse some
of Blogs and web sites listed on this page:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/TAB-CHOICE.htm

When you get to the TAB Choice list... just ignore the jokes that are
made about us "Others".... They do like to poke fun at the way we do
things from time to time (smile). They have all decided that Choice is
the only way to go for them.... There is no turning back once you see
how the kids are motivated to learn and grow as artists.

Regards,

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/