Re: [teacherartexchange] craftsmanship

---------

From: woodyduncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Feb 22 2006 - 11:23:54 PST

On Feb 22, 2006, at 10:52 AM, Jennifer McGlothlin wrote:

> I ment to send this sooner but I haven't gotten the hang of this list
> yet. Thank you all to your advise on Craftsmanship. I actually have
> three art shows coming up before the end of the school year. One of
> which is an art auction held in my school. The students can earn money
> for their work and the school gets a small percentage for supplies. I
> started this last year and it went pretty well. When I told my
> students
> about the art shows they were very excited. I also talked about
> pride in
> their work and I think they understood that much more than me using
> the
> word "craftsmanship". I also wanted to say that I do take other things
> into consideration when grading work. I look at effort, participation
> and clean-up along with craftsmanship for each project. I am so
> happy I
> signed up for this listserve. I am a relatively new teacher and can
> always use some advise in giving my students the best artistic
> experience possible.

Jenn,
        Give it time. Each year the students will gain confidence in your
abilities.
I taught in the same school for 27 years. Students knew long before
they were in
my classes that I had high expectations. Each year it got better. I
suppose I learned
more each year but the students seemed to come to me ready to produce
their best more each year.
        Reflection (on the teachers part) is an important tool. You will
gain the
skill to watch yourself and reflect upon what worked and what didn't.
Good teachers adjust their practice based upon reflection and grow
through the process. Years ago we practiced observing each other
teaching and reflecting upon the process. Our skills improved because
of this. Few schools do this because it requires you to be covered
while you are out of your classroom. In the end it pays off big time.
                                                                Woody

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque
mailto:woodyduncan@comcast.net

35 Quality Middle School Art Lessons