Re:[teacherartexchange] VW "Fast" Lesson plan to come - a Monster Lesson Twist

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Feb 22 2006 - 05:45:11 PST

Hi Wendy and All,

I am right on top of this already (grin). A lesson plan is coming to
IAD that will have this added as a scenario:

Here is one angle (save the two images from these eBay pages) - do it
as a career lesson......

VW's "fast"
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VW-Fast-GTI-Mk-V-Collectable-volkswagen-limited-edition_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6753QQitemZ8039826590QQrdZ1

Paper mache "Fast"
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VW-GTI-Limited-Edtn-prototype-FAST-only-1-of-1_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ50434QQitemZ8040725694QQrdZ1
Wendy Free just posted them to Getty list.

Here is the Scenario:

They have been commissioned by XYZ Company (come up with a company
name - or let the students find a real company - car company/monster
trucks/tractors - whatever) to come up with a "mascot" for their
commercials and marketing. The company wants to see a prototype of the
mascot (monster). You have only X number of days/weeks to get the
mascot to them so you choose paper mache as your medium (also because
it is lightweight and easier to ship). The final mascot will be cast
in plastic from a clay model made by the company design staff.

Have the student body vote on their favorite Monster that would win if
this were a real situation. Have the students who made them limit down
the selection by voting first. Be sure to put a sign with each monster
stating the objectives of the chosen "company".

Extend the lesson. Students could design an advertisement using their
mascot (monster)..... and they could also do a company logo (if they
are creating their own company).

For those of you curious about the "Fast"

Here is info from an ad blog:
http://adweek.blogs.com/adfreak/2006/02/find_vws_fast_o.html

News from Adweek:
http://www.adweek.com/aw/national/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001993610

Caption for real "Fast"
"Rare Collectable VW Fast! Own A Piece of VW History with this
Collectors toy! A very rare Item, sent to VW Dealers as promo item!
The item is New and comes with a DVD, MK5 GTI "FAST" Brochures. Comes
with all the interchangeable tails and VW "FAST" Storybook!"

Caption for prototype "Fast"

"Make friends with your fast. Developed as a personal prototype during
phase one of project fast. Created from personal data collected from
markets in nyc and abroad. This is your chance to own a piece of
premature GTI history. Includes extra tail. Don't miss this one! Very
Very rare, it will go fast, just like you."

Here is the scenario for the "Fast"
http://www.autoblog.com/2006/02/12/tgis-volkswagens-fast-new-mascot/

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to assist Volkswagen
in developing a mascot that is truly "fast."

Enter the briefing room at projectfast.com A disembodied voice with a
thick German accent will instruct you in completing a number of tasks,
aimed at identifying the "collective consciousness" of what is truly
fast.

First up is an ink blot test, then a series of questions about the
look, texture, sound, and even smell of "fast." Despite any interest
you may have in finding out the results immediately, you will be
notified via e-mail of the results once compilation of the data has
taken place.

Only you can help Volkswagen develop a mascot that is truly "fast."
This message will self-destruct in five seconds.

I have already saved my "fast" images for this lesson plan and am
writing VW today for my permission to post on IAD. I know I won't hear
back from them.

Thanks Wendy AND Laurie (who is doing the monster lesson). I guess VW
has to rethink what they do with their Fast..... Looks like they were
giving them away with purchase of a new car? Bet they will stop doing
that now. Can't have anyone else profiting from their generosity now
can we?

Laurie - I have many paper mache artists listed on the Paper Mache
ideas page on IAD..... For a culture to use as reference - look at my
Oaxacan animals lesson.... many resources are given there for fanciful
"monsters".

Regards,

Judy Decker