[teacherartexchange] Water soluble pastles (Porfolio) - Lesson for high school

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Feb 21 2006 - 16:25:09 PST

Hi Nancy and all,

Here is a lesson that Ken Schwab does with his students:
http://www.room3art.com/php/section.php?scand=users/2004-5/Art4/Craypas_Impressionism

It is "in the style" of - but not copied. It is more of a "what
happened next" type of drawing. The students use Craypas pastels
(could use water soluble ones).

Here is the lesson plan:
http://www.room3art.com/lessons/db/Art_4_Craypas_-_Impressionism.html

Ken's home page:
http://www.room3art.com/

I am going to put this on IAD - but with a twist..... Having it also
be a lesson about book illustration. I was sent a copy of Once Upon a
Picture by Sally Swain to evaluate (and I have been dragging my feet
getting it posted to the list).

Rather than spending a lot of time writing about the book - you can
look at what teachers have said:
http://www.allenandunwin.com/Teaching/once.asp
"Once upon a picture", written and illustrated by Sally Swain, invites
the reader into the world of four famous European artists through
their paintings: Renoir's "The Umbrellas", Klee's "The Twittering
Machine", Van Gogh's "The Starry Night" and Rousseau's "Tiger in a
Tropical Storm (Surprised!)". Swain poses a question about each image
which encourages the reader to wonder and imagine (copied from the
above URL).

Here is a short description:
"With magnificent illustrations, this unique account introduces
children to art through four famous paintings: Paul Klee's "Twittering
Machine," Pierre-Auguste Renoir's "The Umbrellas," Henri Rousseau's
"Tiger in the Tropical Storm (Surprised!)," and Vincent Van Gogh's
"The Starry Night." Young imaginations explore these well-known pieces
through creative storytelling and eye-catching images. From the sounds
of Klee's machines and Renoir's children at play to the movement of
Van Gogh's stars and Rousseau's prowling jungle tigers, the
illustrations and story suggestions unfold with visual, verbal, and
dramatic effect. This ideal art literacy tool invites children to take
up their own adventures and concludes with four new paintings by the
same artists." (copied from
http://www.libreriauniversitaria.it/BUS/1741140013/Once_Upon_a_Picture.htm
)

Here is purchase information:
http://www.ipgbook.com/showbook.cfm?bookid=1741140013

I am going to adapt the lesson plan for grades 4 through 12..... Using
any chosen Impressionist's work (or any style you wish) - and telling
what happened next - or a closer look - to tell more of the story.

Regards,

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/