[teacherartexchange] Project ideas - Yom HaShoah

---------

From: leah rachlis (leah_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Feb 21 2006 - 10:42:13 PST

One of the less troubling ways to discuss the holocaust with very young
students is to talk about all the people who came to the aid of the Jews
(and gypsies, and gay people and political dissidents), and to celebrate
Human Kindness. This can speak to community building and taking care of each
other and crossing boundaries created by religion, nationality and race.

It also speaks to courage and risk taking, and your basic right and wrong.

I have taught Holocaust to children as young as second grade in our
religious school, it is painful and difficult, but it is important that we
remember and pass along the lessons of our (humankinds) greatest mistakes.

I applaud all of you that are willing to take on this very difficult task,
but is we are every to know peace, we must start with the children.

Shalom,

Leah

PS: check out: http://www.torah.org/learning/yomtov/holocaust/