[teacherartexchange] Anyone see "Mona Lisa Descending a Staircase" - by Joan Gratz?

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Feb 21 2006 - 08:28:59 PST

Dear List Members,

I was browsing Linda Kieling's YAM page:
http://www.rrms.wlwv.k12.or.us/KielingL/YAM/2005.htm
or http://www.rrms.wlwv.k12.or.us/KielingL/YAM/2006.htm

"Thanks to our 2005 YAM Honorary Chairperson Joan Gratz. She is a
"claypainter" and Academy award winner for "Mona Lisa Descending a
Staircase", Please visit her site at http://www.gratzfilm.com/home.htm
Her commercial work is represented by Vinton Studios
http://www.vinton.com/people/directors/directors.php?id=Joan "

"Description for Mona Lisa Descending a Staircase DVD
--The world of clay animation (or "claymation" as it's sometimes
called) is a world away from the computer-generated imagery which
proliferates throughout the genre. Clay animation takes a steady hand,
an eye for detail, and a lot of patience. One person who undertakes
such a task is clay expert Joan Gratz, who has fashioned a journey
thorough art history named MONA LISA DESCENDING A STAIRCASE. Focusing
primarily on modern art, some incredible masterpieces are rendered in
clay, making this a fun and informative look at the art world."
http://www.bestprices.com/cgi-bin/vlink/759731409322IE

I found the video listed on Pyramid site for $99.00 - but you can get
a collection of four videos for $79 (with Mona included). The four
shorts are a total of 25 minutes. Mona is 9 minutes (or so).

"In one of her best-known works, Mona Lisa Descending a Staircase,
images of the human face are subtly transformed to communicate the
graphic style and emotional content of key artworks of the 20th
century, creating an animated history of art." "Using the innovative
technique of clay painting, artist and filmmaker Joan Gratz takes the
viewer on an amazing colorful journey through the development of
modern art from Van Gogh to Warhol."

You can watch about 5 minutes of the video on the Pyramid site (link
is too long to post). Not for the wee ones - there are some nudes -
all tastefully done of course.
(top link in Google search for video).

Regards,

Judy Decker