Re: [teacherartexchange] More on John Baldessari - Appropriated Art (See Specimen)

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Feb 21 2006 - 07:12:06 PST

I looked at some of his work, including the enormous reproduction of the
Durer and a Warholesque piece of six movie stills (posterized and then
colored with a single color each). Okay, so now, after all the
questions and anxious discussions lately on copyrights here on the
list, I wonder if he had to get permission from the owners of all the
originals to use the images in his works. Where do his
"appropriations" fit in to this discussion, and what should prevent
teachers from allowing students the same freedom of expression, at least
within the classroom and not for sale or exhibit?

Feeling like a devil's advocate today,

Maggie