[teacherartexchange] More on John Baldessari - Appropriated Art (See Specimen)

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Feb 21 2006 - 05:27:00 PST

Dear Art Educators,

I am enjoying my surf today..... I just KNOW that someone will be
inspired to do a lesson on "appropriated art" after you see this
image:
Specimen (After Durer):
http://www.getty.edu/art/exhibitions/past/departures/baldessari/index.htm
See the Durer Stag Beetle original too.
http://www.getty.edu/art/exhibitions/past/departures/baldessari/durer.htm

AND how about the WORD as art?
http://artgallery.yale.edu/pages/collection/popups/pc_modern/details29.html
larger image:
http://artgallery.yale.edu/pages/collection/popups/pc_modern/enlarge29.html
I can think of many lessons here.....

Explore more!
http://www.artcyclopedia.com/artists/baldessari_john.html

Click on Kunsthalle Basel, Switzerland (in German)
Then click on work title - you will see my college Art Fundamentals
book (the famous "Okvirk, Bone, Stenson and Wigg" (Cayton is in more
recent publications).... all of them my BGSU profs (I didn't have
Bone, though).

I don't want to give more ideas away....I'll spoil all the fun! You
will come up with your own.... Browse away!

Note:

One process he uses is Photogravure
Some "how tos"
http://www.curtis-collection.com/process.html
http://www.vam.ac.uk/vastatic/microsites/photography/processframe.php?processid=pr017
http://www.alternativephotography.com/process_copper_photograv.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photogravure

Don't know if you photo people have the resources to try this.... but
kiddies could at least try some hand colored photographs.

Please share ONE image of Baldessari inspired art if you do a
lesson.... I would like to have a home for my web wanderings. I will
start a lesson page just on Photography ideas.....

Happy surfing today.

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/