[teacherartexchange] Minimalists/Conceptual Artists - Herbert Collection (check John Baldessari)

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Feb 21 2006 - 04:53:41 PST

Dear Art Educators,

I am not a fan of minimalist/conceptual art.... but some of you may
be. There is an interesting article in today's NY Times

Atypical Collectors With Art to Share
By ALAN RIDING
The Barcelona Museum of Contemporary Art has devoted two-thirds of its
space to exhibiting the art collection of Anton and Annick Herbert.

The NY Times is a great way to collect current events in Art for your
classroom...and it is FREE - delivered to your inbox every morning.

Here are some on line resources for the collection:
http://www.kunsthausgraz.steiermark.at/cms/beitrag/10201774/4938419/_1
has a few images

http://www.bcninternet.com/touristinfo.php?contentid=1808
no images -- but lists artists you can look up.

Barcelona Museum of Contemporary Art
http://www.macba.es/controller.php?p_action=show_page&pagina_id=28&inst_id=20711
http://www.macba.es/controller.php?p_action=show_page&pagina_id=33&inst_id=20575&lang=ENG
home page:
http://www.macba.es/

Here is the work that is shown in the NY Times article:
http://www.e-flux.com/displayshow.php?file=message_1138818222.txt
I do like this one.... John Baldessari 'The Duress Series: Person
Holding on to Pole Attached to Exterior of Tall Building', 2003
I can see ways this could inspire a lesson.....
"Meet" John: http://www.baldessari.org/
"John Baldessari was born in National City. He attended San Diego
State University and did post-graduate work at Otis Art Institute and
Chouinard Art Institute and U.C. Berkeley. He taught at the
California Institute of the Arts in Valencia until 1990 and is
currently teaching at UCLA. His art has been featured in more than
120 solo exhibitions in the U.S. and Europe and in over 300 group
exhibitions." (copied from site)
There is a link to a gallery where you can see another image.... also
great to inspire a lesson.
Happy surfing! (Micheal Gerrish - are you reading? You would like him, too)
http://www.artcyclopedia.com/artists/baldessari_john.html

Gerhard Richter has at least one work in the exhibit:
http://www.gerhard-richter.com/home/index.php

Regards,

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department