[teacherartexchange] Think ahead to May - Jewish Culture Awareness - Project ideas

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Feb 20 2006 - 14:37:10 PST

Dear Art Educators,

We seem to have a month for everything ... I remember that May had
been designated as Holocaust Awareness Month. Maybe this would be a
good month to teach about Jewish culture and some interesting Jewish
art.

Shayne sent me this link that has some great resources for Tzedakah Boxes
http://www.bjetoronto.org/link.tzedakah.html

Shayne wrote the lesson plan:
http://www.bjetoronto.org/PDF%20Files/tzedakah.lesson.gr11-12.pdf

There isn't any reason why non-Jewish students can't make a treasure
box for charity. (I am sure some close minded parents may object if
they call them tzedakah boxes).

"The giving of Tzedakah (charity) is a fundamental Mitzvah in Jewish
life. Being a cornerstone of Judaism, no Jewish home is complete
without a Tzedakah Box."

There are lots of interesting examples on this commercial site:
http://www.judaism.com/giftware/tzedakah.asp

Shayne created a PowerPoint that is linked to the URL given above. She
also has the PowerPoint on her site (a revised version):
http://www.shaynie.com/Tiferes/Classes/art/sculpture/sculpture.htm

I found MANY wonderful ceramic examples on line.....Dozens of
commercial sites with interesting examples.

Some background information:
http://www.jewishmuseum.net/Permanent/Talmud.htm
http://www.templesanjose.org/JudaismInfo/faq/Tzedakah.htm
http://judaism.about.com/od/beliefs/a/tzedakah_what.htm

There is a ceramic box lesson on Incredible Art Department that I will
add this idea to as an extension - alternate approach.

Shayne will send me some student examples for a lesson on IAD.

Gloria Rabinowitz has a great lesson for MEZUZOT on her site - using
Polymer Clay:
http://www.nshahs.org/art-html/mezuzot.html

I would like to have some student examples of Micrography too.... for
a lesson on IAD. There is no need for a detailed lesson plan - I just
need the student work.
I am hoping to have these Jewish culture lessons online before May.

Hope some of you are inspired.....

Regards,

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department