[teacherartexchange] Copyright Awareness Week March 6 - 10 - Articles by Nancy Willard

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Feb 20 2006 - 06:45:26 PST

Dear Art Educators,

I have been "talking" with Nancy Willard - a former Copyright Attorney
and Educator. She really "knows her stuff". I have links to her web
site on this page:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/informat.htm

I just entered Nancy Willard Copyright into Google to see what would come up.

Here is a very good article on PBS site:
Part 1
http://www.pbs.org/teachersource/whats_new/library/march02.shtm
Part 2
http://www.pbs.org/teachersource/whats_new/library/thismonth_library.shtm
Article on Education World:
http://www.educationworld.com/a_tech/tech/tech121.shtml

I agree with Nancy - One of the easiest ways to teach
students about copyright is to show them how to
protect their own work. I know that most of you do not
put student's full names on web sites (I don't put any
student names on IAD unless the teachers get a signed
form allowing it for me). Maybe you could put (C)2006 John S. at XYZ School
I have a statement that all student work on IAD is
copyrighted and that permission can not be granted for
any use other than by teachers in the classroom
(that's the best I can do right now).

Nancy has some good info on getting permissions....

When I did my Art Tech class, I taught my kiddies the
right way to do things....but when the webmasters did
not return our emails... we became "willful
infringers". I had obtained permission to use images
(scans) from many Fine Art Image sites ahead of time
(even though I knew these sites were not the copyright
holders). If the kiddies needed an image from a
different site, they wrote permission to use image
letters (that I sent via email).

Here is Nancy's permission to use template:

Dear (name)

I am a student/staff at (name of school). I would like
to use (describe the material) in the following manner
(describe how you will use the material). Do you hold
the copyright on this material? If you hold the
copyright, may I have your permission to use your
material in this way?

If you grant permission to copy this material, I will
properly reference your ownership by (describe how).

I need to have your answer by (date).

--------------------------------
Perhaps you could add:

If you are not the copyright holder, please direct me
to the correct contact.

Now I know many of you folks will not agree with
me.... but you might want to add:

If I do not hear back from you by (date). I will
assume that you also agree that the use listed above
falls under Fair Use and permission is granted.

I had to add that to our permission to use request.
Otherwise, our hands were tied. In all my years of
working on the web, I have only received two negative
emails back using the statement above.

I plan to run a copyright feature on Great Sites next month - along
with Women's History Month AND Youth Art Month.... March is a busy
month (smile).

Note: Nancy has reviewed the materials on this site:
http://www.csusa.org/caw/caw_2006_home.htm
She says they are very good -she endorses them (unlike the materials
she found on I-Safe which were inaccurate).

Regards,

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/