Re:[teacherartexchange] MP3 players

---------

From: Melissa Enderle (melissa_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Feb 18 2006 - 10:55:16 PST

Dear Carolyn,

Although the iPod line is not the cheapest or have the most features, there
are reasons why it completely overshadows all others. People (including
myself) like its ease of use, compatibility with Macs and PC's, the tons of
accessories available (including voice recording, transferring photos from
your camera) excellent software, and dependability. The design factor is
also very cool.
I have an iPod Photo that I purchased a year ago (an upgrade from my first
one which I outgrew its storage size). Through seamless integration with
iPhoto (on the Mac), I was able to transfer my photo album of artwork,
connect my iPod to my parents' TV, and play an instant slide show (complete
with music and transitions which I could choose right from the iPod) of my
artwork. I hook up my iPod to my stereo, playing my music through the
stereo's great speakers. Because of this, I shipped all my CD's back to the
US. Imagine - hundreds of CD's all on a device the size of a deck of cards!

Regardless of which brand you choose, consider how you plan on using it. If
you have lots of music and want to put a large collection on the player,
consider a hard-drive based player. The regular iPods fall in this category.
The new iPods do play video as well, but if you are doing lots of watching,
you may find that the small screen is a little tiring. Hard-drive based
players are physically larger, so if portability is the main thing, then
choose a flash-based player. The iPod shuffles also double as a flash/thumb
drive and are the size of a stick of gum. I would probably choose an iPod
nano over those though, as the nanos have a screen. Flash-based players
typically will not store your whole music collection (you regularly load new
music onto it), but are much smaller and lighter, making them great devices
when exercising.

Hope this helps.

Melissa