[teacherartexchange] "Must See" NAEA 2006 Convention Presentations - plus breakfast reminder

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Feb 18 2006 - 09:31:54 PST

Dear Teacher Art Exchange Members,

Here is the compiled list of presentations by art eduction list members.

Wednesday 10 AM
Lydia Phelps, Denise Horton, and Maggie Smola
Give me a Meaningful Voice

These three art ed students from Northern AZ University will introduce the
importance of using sensitivity when dealing with cultural materials. Denise
was raised on the Navajo Reservation and brings some particularly
interesting insights. (Pam Stephens' students)

Friday 11 AM
Lydia Phelps, Denise Horton, and Maggie Smola
Understanding the Sacred

This is an expanded version of the first presentation and will deal more
with the students' interviews with Navajo high school students and their
Hopi colleagues. (Pam Stephens' students)

Saturday 8 AM
Pam Stephens and Nancy Walkup
Get Published!

Nancy is the editor of SchoolArts and I sit on the advisory board. We'll
cover guidelines for writing articles for publication in magazines and
journals plus give hints on how to get articles accepted. We'll also discuss
how we have been able to publish larger projects such as books, games,
posters, and videos. And of course we'll answer any and all questions.

Saturday 8 PM
Pam Stephens with Joan Lyttle and Lynn Tuttle
Navigating the Standards

Lynn is the arts coordinator from the AZ Department of Education and Joan is
a first-year teacher (one of my recent grad students). We'll detail a
statewide effort to bring as many art teachers as possible into the process
of revising the state visual arts standards. Part of our presentation will
be about an electronic survey that I developed, how that was administered,
and how the results informed the process.

Kris Fontes and Kelly Armor
Sunday, March 26th at 10 a.m.
Kids as Curators

This hands-on workshop will demonstrate howart teachers and museum
educators can transform their students' personal collections into
exciting exhibits. This project capitalizes on the fact that middle
school students are voracious collectors. Their bedrooms often become
veritable stockpiles of American cultural artifacts. Channeling their
fascination with =tangible goods can spark a lifelong interest in art,
collecting, and museum-going. The museum process of cataloguing,
categorizing, curating, and sequencing dovetail with middle school
core curriculum. This successful project run by the Erie Art Museum
has changed the way some local art educators teach. This workshop will
involve educators in curating and exhibitdesigning activities,
discussion, and present them with a CD-ROM of photos of student
created exhibits, lesson plans, and ideas culled from the 2005 Kids as
Curators Project in Erie, PA.

These are the sessions that Ann Ayers and Ellen McMillan are presenting:

Wed 4:00 PM to 4:50 PM
Secondary Williford Room B, 3rd. Floor
Artist Trading Cards—Art That Fits in Your Pocket!
Presented by: Ann Ayers with Ellen McMillan
The spirt of these miniature works of art is about artists meeting,
exchanging works & becoming exposed to many personal styles. Learn
how tiny works of art can be a HUGE part of your curriculum!

Thur 8:00 AM to 8:50 AM
Curriculum & Instruction Conference Room 5B, 5th. Floor
Artist Connections—Adding "WOW" to Your Lessons!
Presented by: Ellen McMillan with Ann Ayers
See what happens when you invite Chuck Close, Roy Lichenstein, Sandy
Skogland, Red Grooms, Christo & other famous artists to join you in
your studio lessons - art history becomes dynamic & exciting!

Fri 4:00 PM to 4:50 PM
Technology Boulevard Room A, 2nd. Floor
These are a Few of My Favorite Things
Presented by: Ellen McMillan with Ann Ayers
Check out our favorite tech tools and websites that we absolutely
love! For all levels - from beginner to expert - you'll discover
something you can use with your classes!

Sun 11:00 AM to 11:50 AM
Technology Boulevard Room C, 2nd. Floor
Stop Re-inventing the Wheel! Digitize Your Lessons!
Presented by: Ann Ayers with Ellen McMillan
See how easy it is to use a bit of technology to simplify your life -
digital lesson plans & powerful lesson presentations will WOW your
students & impress your administrators!

Linda Kieling has four presentations:

*Hold an Award Winning Youth Art Month Program in Your State
Wednesday Waldorf Room, 3rd Floor 4:00 – 4:50 PM

As the Claire Flanagan Grand Award winner I will be presenting
advocacy information for use from your classroom, in your school,
community and state. Oregon's 2005 program "Now Showing: Start with
Art Learn for Life" will be highlighted with ideas, tips, strategies
and successes.

*Pacific Region Middle Level Showcase
Wednesday Lake Erie, 8th Floor 5:00 - 5:50 PM

Each regional award winner was asked to present a showcase-
Pacific Region teacher shares the marvelous mania of the middle school
art room. Students are guided through experiences that help them find
a sense of self, of community, of the world around them and its
history as well as the learning unique to visual art. Highlights
include studio projects, establishing an annual school event called
Arts in Action, their "Chair"ity auction, creating a tradition for 8th
graders to create sculptures installed at the school, the importance
of an Art Club and tapping into your resources. Discussion
surrounding middle school motivators, class climate, classroom
procedures and discipline issues will be incorporated.

*Tribute Tins
Thursday Conference Room 4A, 4th Floor 7:30-7:55 PM

Students create works about other students. Metal mint tins (think
Altoids!), student photographs and embellishments are used in this
project that helps establish a sense of self and community.

*East Coast/West Coast: Middle School Collaborations-Big Ideas
Saturday (*schedule change from Fri AM so not sure what room now!) 7:00-7:50 PM

With Margaret Johnson (SUNY New Paltz) and Susan Cooper (Rawlinson
Road Middle, South Carolina). After exploring works and processes of
contemporary artists through PowerPoints created by SUNY students, 8th
grade artists work towards projects utilizing their own Big Ideas.
Students at both middle schools corresponded and shared with each
other. Information about the process, handouts, projects and student
PowerPoints will be presented.

Friday, 8 p.m. Joliet Room 3rd Floor
Great Museum/High School Partnerships
April Oswald/Donnalyn Shuster/Linda LaBella- Morgan

  Innovative musuem and high school collaboration showcasing urban and
suburban/rural districts as they integrate hands on career exploration
in musuem studies. Students actively participate in an seminar style
program at MWPAI Institute in Utica, NY as they learn about careers in
all aspects of museum management. Culminating project is the design,
production and curation of an exhibition featuring works from the 3
main collections at MWPAI. Students also act as docents, conducting
tours and in orienting the musuem docent staff to their exhibition.

  Students work in a photography collaboration with the Everson
Musuem/Syracuse University in Syracuse and after training in VTS,
conduct tours and create original documents focused on elementary
level students to introduce them to the musuem.

  Particpants will recieve outlines of both programs and an
opportunity to discuss adaptation and implementation to individual
district needs.

  Programs address NYS Learning Standards - Commencement Level in the
Visual Arts, ELA, Social Studies, Math/Science/Technology and CDOS (
Career Development)

TeacherArtExchange members will want to contact Susan with your plans
to attend the list member breakfast.

Breakfast at the Chicago Hilton:
FRIDAY, March 24th at 7:00 A.M.-8:00A.M.
PAVILLION Restaurant in the main lobby

There will be a table in the front section of the restaurant. The
reservation is under "ARTED". Please let Susan (on Long Island) know
if you can make it, so she can give the restaurant a count. Susan on
Long Island ARTNSOUL12 at aol.com (Susan's email address is also on
the file I sent to you)

For more information on NAEA 2006 - see this page on IAD (includes
info for Binney and Smith Event - scroll down to bottom for that)
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/news/NAEA-NEWS.htm

Mark your programs for some of these list member presentations...It's
not too late to register to go. Have a great time!

Judy Decker