[teacherartexchange] Whitney ARTPORT: The Whitney Museum Portal to Net Art

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Feb 18 2006 - 06:48:54 PST

Dear Art Educators,

I know this has been posted before.... but I thought you might want to
look at the newest addition to Whitney's ARTPORT
(http://artport.whitney.org/) - "Dumpster" shows actual language of
teenage blogs posts (of being dumped) from around the country. It is
kind of fun to click on the dots and see what the kiddies wrote.

8. Whitney ARTPORT: The Whitney Museum Portal to Net Art [Macromedia Flash
Player]
http://artport.whitney.org/

Created by the Whitney Museum, this portal to digital art has been around
for some time, but is still worth another look. The portal includes current
"gate pages", that point to the work of selected artists and change monthly,
along with an archive of gate pages dating back to 2001. In the section on
commissioned digital art projects, the current lineup includes The Dumpster
(Valentine's Day, 06) by Golan Levin with Kamal Nigam and Jonathan Feinberg,
blog posts about breakups scavenged in 2005, and {Software} Structures by
Casey Reas (with Robert Hodgin, William Ngan, Jared Tarbell) exploring the
idea of software as art. Finally, the resources section lists galleries,
networks and museums on the Web, publications, and new media festivals,
while the collection area showcases digital art owned by the Whitney Museum.
Altogether, ARTPORT provides a great jumping off place to the far-flung and
ephemeral world of Web art. [DS]

>From The Scout Report, Copyright Internet Scout Project 1994-2006.
http://scout.wisc.edu/

To sign up to receive Scout Report go to:
http://scout.wisc.edu/About/subscribe.php

I will add links to ARTPORT on my USA Museums page and Art/Technology resources.

Regards,

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/