[teacherartexchange] Colonial Silhouettes - extending to lesson on Kara Walker (African-American)

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Feb 17 2006 - 14:31:46 PST

Dear Art Educators,

I thought I would post info on Kara Walker again (for Black History Month).
I was reminded of her when I received my Dover Sampler this week.

Silhouettes - Dover has some FREE samples:
http://www.doverpublications.com/sampler/0217/sample16.htm
Sign up to receive Dover Sampler:
http://www.doverpublications.com/present12/

Tie in some history.....

Who invented silhouette portraits?
"A French bureaucrat by the name of Etienne de Silhouette created this
form of portraiture in Paris, France in the mid- 1700's. Etienne was
the French Minister of Finance, and was just as well-known for cutting
"shades" of people as he was for cutting the budget to the bone."
(copied from a web site).

Here is some history:
http://artcafenetwork.net/meet/kat/silhouette/index.html

Colonial America
American Silhouettes - some background info
http://aic.stanford.edu/sg/bpg/annual/v18/bp18-07.html

"Colonial Silhouette Art: Another form of paper art was the making of
portrait silhouettes. The person to be captured in the art form was
seated behind white paper. A candle was lit and placed behind the
sitter who's profile was then cast onto the white paper. A machine was
used which marked and reduced the shadow. The reduced silhouettes was
cut from black paper, mounted and framed."
http://www.ic.sunysb.edu/Class/est572/joreste/

This all leads into a lesson on Kara Walker:
http://www.artcyclopedia.com/artists/walker_kara.html
http://www.guggenheim.org/exhibitions/past_exhibitions/moving_pictures/highlights_10a.html
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=Kara+Walker&btnG=Search
Select images appropriate for student viewing - depending on the grade
level you are teaching.

Students can make their own cut paper silhouettes representing their culture.
I thought this was appropriate since some teachers were asking for
figure drawing lesson ideas. If anyone does a Kara Walker lesson -
send me a sample of student work and a brief "this is what we
did....". I would like to put it on Incredible Art Department.

Regards,

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/