Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

[teacherartexchange] Teaching with Works of Art - Carlos Musesum

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Feb 17 2006 - 10:03:15 PST

Dear Art Educators,

I visited "Teaching with Works of Art" today - on Carlos Museum (Emory
University) site:
Lessons in observation and analysis.

"...working with works of art and cultural artifacts can make history
come alive and generate excitement about learning."
"..... features tutorials, worksheets, and links to other Web sites
about teaching with objects. Here you'll find resources for
integrating art into your classroom to support social studies

Once you see the tutorials, you might want to make your own museum
collections for students to sort and sequence. The National Museum of
African Art has a great section for selecting images to study African
Art and Culture. The Art and Life of Africa Project (Iowa University
site) has a search of the Stanley Collection.

See Object Analysis Worksheet:
I thought this was pretty thorough - it is very similar to what I used
when I showed culture trunks to my students.

Hope you find this useful in your teaching.

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department
Incredible Art Resources

To unsubscribe go to