Re: [teacherartexchange] Craftsmanship

---------

lpapanicolaou_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Thu Feb 16 2006 - 10:51:50 PST

This year I've told the kids up front that art is communication. They are making art works that will go out into the world as ideas hanging on walls in an exhibition, and if they're putting in the minimal effort simply to show me they know the right answers, they're not making art. I focus the class on 'being an artist'. I grade 'portfolio' (doing the assignments) as one 20% category and 'presentation' as another 20%.