Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

[teacherartexchange] Collections- Curiosity Cabinets (digital collection - Photoshop)

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Feb 16 2006 - 09:02:18 PST

Dear Art Educators,

Kris Fontes' "Curiosity Cabinets a la eBay" will be in March School Arts.
This is a fun lesson to teach students how to grab and trim objects in

Kris showed examples of Renaissance Curiosity Cabinets, work of Joseph
Cornell - and had discussion on "collections" - what they tell us
about the individual.

Students then "shopped" eBay for images to place in their "virtual" cabinet.
Backgrounds were cut away and objects sized to fit on the shelves.

Some objects were related - some weren't. It might be fun to approach
this as a "self portrait" lesson, too.... Have the students write what
the objects communicate about themselves.

There is a neat exhibit now at the Erie Museum of Art showing
contemporary curiosity cabinets - a few examples are on line:

Fair Use provision of copyright allows you to use the images you find
on eBay for this lesson.

I have my own collections I would use..... I have two Victorian
"whatnot" shelves, a miniatures printers' tray...and other collections
all throughout my house. You might want to make one using your own
collections and talk about those with your students.

Some resources for this lesson:

Hope this sparks some ideas....

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department