Re: [teacherartexchange] Craftsmanship

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Feb 16 2006 - 08:23:18 PST

Hi Jennifer (and all),

Craftsmanship is PART of the grade. There are other objectives too
that you need to evaluate. If craftsmanship is not up to your
expectations, only that portion of the grade is lowered. When I
taught, there were many objectives I evaluated. Remember, there are
some styles of art where "neatness" is not the objective (smile).

One way to get students to do better work is to require that work be
displayed in the halls. Of course, you can start out displaying the
best work. Eventually, all students will come around an produce work
that they are proud to have displayed.

I would not have them do the work again. You will turn them off
completely and they will stop working for you.

Will you have an art show at the end of the year? Start pointing out
work that will be saved for the art show as they work. I often
encouraged my poorer students that way, too (as they never had
anything in our district show). If I saw they had a good composition
started - or a good color plan (whatever) - I would encourage them to
continue doing a good job on it as I wanted it for the art show. I had
one girl come three times to the art show bringing different relatives
each time. she was so proud that she had something in the art show.
Her work wasn't up to par with the rest of the class - but it was her
best effort.

Jennifer, send me one example (as attachment) of a work that doesn't
meet your expectations - and I will show you a different way to
evaluate it. The easiest way is through a modified rubric - something
like this:

Cut Paper Collage - Olympic Pictogram
                                                          high
              low
Planning and sketches 10 9 8 7 6
Figure Proportion 10 9 8 7 6
Design/Originality 10 9 8 7 6
Color Plan (or other objective you have) 10 9 8 7 6
Craftsmanship (cutting and gluing) 10 9 8 7 6
Effort and participation 10 9 8 7 6

Start having the students assess themselves first - these modified
rubrics are the easiest to do. I would only put the numbers as shown
above - 10 high and 6 low (otherwise, they students will often give
themselves very low scores). You could add "other" so that you can
give a 0, for instance, to a student who doesn't turn in the sketches

Hope this helps.....

Judy Decker