[teacherartexchange] idea thief-Marvin's article

---------

From: Jean Womack (jeaneger_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 12 2006 - 21:21:25 PST

Marvin Bartel always has a good spark to light a fire under our creativity,
doesn't he? I enjoyed my master teacher's approach to creativity: paint a
painting with 2 people, 3 animals, 4 trees and 2 buildings. OR Create a
clay sculpture of some kind of dwelling with 13 objects or people around it.
And so on. I tried a lesson plan that worked with a class of talented high
school students: draw a horse (from a horse-drawing handout) and then give
the horse some friends and an environment to live in. The horse-drawing
handout was provided by a veteran teacher. The friends and the environment
were requested by me. This year I would ask them to draw a dog.

Yes, it's very important to encourage creativity and inventiveness, if only
to feed our national need for scientists and inventors. That in and of
itself ought to generate support for the arts. More importantly, we need to
give our students the mental tools to think through a problem and solve it
themselves.

I noticed that on Bloom's taxonomy, "inventing" is missing. What happened?

Jean Womack
http://www.jeaneger.com