[teacherartexchange] the batik question

---------

From: Randy Menninghaus (india99_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 12 2006 - 15:53:36 PST

I have been reading the batik thread with interest. Batik:wax resist on
cotton with cold water procion dyes was my preferred art media. Before I
moved to the land of snow and ice.

Wendy you sound like you are using more of an African(
Andikra cloth?) approach, if you are using flour resist. Leaving the size
in the muslin fabric tends to resist water based dyes.
Based on what you have said and what replies people are giving you:

1. I would lay a two/three sheet pad of newspaper under the muslin. I would
have student gently wet the area to be dyed first with clear water. Not
soak just dampen. Stress that they don't move the pieces around at all once
the dye hits. this will help with the dye sinking into the fabric

2. You may get better results with one color over all. Like the real thing.
Have two compatible colors mixed up say blue or green. Than they brush a
gentle layer of color onto the fabric and leave it. Read the directions.
if it calls for salt use pickling salt as it does not have iodine in it.
3. the reason you don't move the fabric around is the colors will migrate
to other areas. Not a problem in one color dying.
4. If you really want to extend it. Next week or next lesson Cover parts
of the dry colored areas and apply another color say purple.. And then you
have the beginnings of a sequenced piece.

Good luck. Take photos Randy