[teacherartexchange] "Idea Thief" and Marvin Bartel's proposition

---------

From: Maggie Tucker (arttucker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 12 2006 - 04:20:23 PST

Marvin, I also enjoy the thoughtfulness and thoroughness of your ideas.
They leave that much more to chew over.
I particularly enjoy your separation of teaching skills and creativity.

One concern I have is with developmental issues. As a teacher of sixth,
seventh and eighth grade students, I know how seductive copying can be,
especially when combined with the pressures of being "one with the herd."
For the past two years I have used independent projects for eighth graders
as a culminating activity. I've used big idea concepts (growth;
separation) and given nine weeks for idea to practice to art. What I've
found is that most want to hurry through, and will wait til the last minute
to produce sketchy work. That discomfort with the creative process is a
defense, a clinging to?

One piece I like to combat this is using Terry Barrett's classmate check
system. Starting early in the process, students take a half sheet of
paper, fold it , and on the hidden side write what they are trying to
accomplish. They flip the paper over, give it along with their artwork to
a classmate, and the classmate writes what they see. When the artists read
the comments, they also get to discuss new directions, media manipulation,
etc. This might be a useful addition in your ideas.

Thank you for keeping us humming!
Maggie Tucker

arttucker@earthlink.net