Re: [teacherartexchange] Batik Question

---------

From: Wendy (wendy570_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Feb 09 2006 - 16:26:04 PST

For the batik resist, I used a paste mixture of flour,
water, and alum. Students painted it and then
squeezed it on unwashed, unbleached muslin.

My concerns with unthickened dye are twofold: First,
the watery dye may dilute and wash away the water
soluble paste resist. Second, the dye may seep under
the resist to unwanted areas.

I would like the students to paint the color onto the
fabric rather than soaking it in the dye. In fact, it
is my understanding that you should not soak fabric
with this type of paste as it will wash off.

Again, any advice on thickeners for the dye would be
helpful.

Thanks,
Wendy