[teacherartexchange] ideas, copying, fear

---------

twoducks_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Thu Feb 09 2006 - 15:05:32 PST

<<-----Original Message-----
From: Rebecca Burch <mamallama@gmail.com>
Subject: [teacherartexchange] idea theif

So I'm having a really big problem with a boy in my 6th grade class
who refuses to think for himself. He will not come up with original
ideas for his work, and always tries to copy my example. I've started
just giving instruction on media and not giving an example for each
project, and he just copies his neighbor.>>

Art can be very scary. That blank piece of paper has shut a lot of us
down. Certainly some students are more confident than others. Some
students have good brainstorm skills and others do not.. I used to
enjoy teaching (younger) students mind mapping techniques, where lots
of ideas could be spilled on to some sort of graphic organizer.
Another strategy that could be used for more than just him...fold cheap
paper twice to make four sections. Require a quick sketch in each
section...then conference with student about which direction to take.
I wonder if he could start with another's idea but interpret it in an
individual manner (as many artists do...) Where ideas come from is a
very important topic in all art classes. And I bet Marvin B. will
chime in here with even better stuff.
good luck,
fear is hard to overcome.
kathy douglas in massachusetts, dreading the weekend snowstorm