Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: [teacherartexchange] Batik Question

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Feb 09 2006 - 10:09:51 PST

> Wendy wrote:
>> I am doing a modified batik lesson with my 5th
>> graders. This week we are laying down the resist over
>> our line drawings. I have plenty of dyes, however, in
>> my research, I have learned that in order to paint
>> them on the fabric, they should be thicker so they
>> don?t leak into unwanted areas. My question is-do you
>> know of any (preferably inexpensive) way to thicken
>> the dye without stiffening the fabric?

Making the colors permanant (not fugative) is also a
concern. I learned in my recent docent training on
the history of weaving in New Mexico a unique way to
fix pigments. Early Spanish weavers used "young male
urine" to fix the natural dye colors. I hope they
didn't do this process at the height of the summer.
Another reason to be glad we live in modern times.
Reinactors should hold their noses.

	Woody, Retired in Albuquerque
35 Quality Middle School Art Lessons
Ordering Address: PO Box 91703