Re: [teacherartexchange] Batik Question

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Feb 09 2006 - 10:09:51 PST

> Wendy wrote:
>
>> I am doing a modified batik lesson with my 5th
>> graders. This week we are laying down the resist over
>> our line drawings. I have plenty of dyes, however, in
>> my research, I have learned that in order to paint
>> them on the fabric, they should be thicker so they
>> don?t leak into unwanted areas. My question is-do you
>> know of any (preferably inexpensive) way to thicken
>> the dye without stiffening the fabric?

Making the colors permanant (not fugative) is also a
concern. I learned in my recent docent training on
the history of weaving in New Mexico a unique way to
fix pigments. Early Spanish weavers used "young male
urine" to fix the natural dye colors. I hope they
didn't do this process at the height of the summer.
Another reason to be glad we live in modern times.
Reinactors should hold their noses.
                                Woody

--
	Woody, Retired in Albuquerque