[teacherartexchange] idea theif

---------

From: Rebecca Burch (mamallama_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Feb 09 2006 - 09:56:35 PST

So I'm having a really big problem with a boy in my 6th grade class
who refuses to think for himself. He will not come up with original
ideas for his work, and always tries to copy my example. I've started
just giving instruction on media and not giving an example for each
project, and he just copies his neighbor.

Other than just giving him a bad grade, do you have any ideas for ways
to encourage him to at least TRY to come up with his own ideas? (It's
kind of ironic that I'm asking for ideas to help a kid come up with
ideas, right?) I've tried everything I know to do -- even put him in
his own seat far away from everyone else so he can't steal ideas, and
still, he'll just sit there and refuse to do the work.

Thanks!
Becky