Re: [teacherartexchange] Batik Question

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Feb 09 2006 - 09:40:07 PST

Wendy,

When my HS students did batik, we used the regular Dylon dyes, mixed
according to instructions. In all my research and experience, I don't
recall advice to mix the dyes thicker. The trick to keep the dye in its
place is to make sure the resist really penetrates the fabric. I hope
you washed the fabric first to remove the sizing. You didn't say if you
were using wax or paste resist, but the wax has to be very hot to
penetrate (I've not used the paste). If it's not penetrating to the
other side, brush resist on the back as well. Paint the dyes on as usual.

Good luck,

Maggie