Re: [teacherartexchange] From PC to Mac

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Feb 09 2006 - 08:16:24 PST

Amy Broady wrote:

> I had a wonderful package delivered to me Tuesday at the school from the
> district Art Department--a brand new iBook G4.

> I can't remember when we (my husband and I) switched to a PC, but I am
> now thoroughly used to my Dell computer. So I have to re-orient myself
> to the Mac.

> Does anyone know if there is a simple way to put Word documents into a
> Mac-friendly format? My new computer came with Appleworks, which I think
> is what Clariswors developed into.

> The other option is just to keep all that on my home computer for now
> and use the Mac for other classroom purposes.

Amy,
        I am a mac user. I have an old i-Mac and a G-4 powerbook. I was
a teacher (now retired) with the same sort of quandary. I used macs but
worked in a PC world. I had to teach kids to edit photos and build web
pages on a real computer (PC). When I decided to share my lessons with
other art teachers I put my art lessons in to powerpoint presentations.
To do that at home I purchased "Office for the Mac 2001". It most likely
has a new name or number by now. It has MS Word, MS Excel, MS
Powerpoint, and some e-mail program bundled in it. I bought it six years
ago for my little i-Mac and later put it on my powerbook when I
bought it. Microsoft software is pricey, so if you purchase it get the
educators price.
        I use the software to do documents in MS Word so I can e-mail
the docs to all my PC friends. But mostly I created 35 of my middle
school art lessons at put them in powerpoint format. I put them all
on one CD and I've sold hundreds. Of course Mac has a superior program
called Keynote that tops MS Powerpoint. And, it runs on PC's. But I
went with Powerpoint because the world is full of loyal PC users.
But you are concerned about using all the documents you have created
at home on your new mac. Perhaps there is a trial version out there
on the web you can download for 30 days to see if it does what you want.
        Best of luck. Teachers should help each other out. I got on
this list full of geeks (good geeks) when my battery went dead on
my powerbook. I was looking for advice. Turns out, it was a Middle
School Art teacher in Colorado that gave me the solution.
                                        Woody

--
	Woody, Retired in Albuquerque
		mailto:woodyduncan@comcast.net