Re: [teacherartexchange] From PC to Mac

---------

From: Marvin Bartel (marvinpb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Feb 09 2006 - 07:08:26 PST

>....... Amy asked:
>
>Does anyone know if there is a simple way to put Word documents into a Mac-friendly format? My new computer came with Appleworks, which I think is what Clariswors developed into. (In my previous treavhing life I used Clarisworks to design my seating charts and class record pages.) I am just wondering if I am going to have to re-do all of my seating charts and class lists, which I did on my PC, in order to have access to them in my classroom.

Amy,
I often send consulting documents to and from my Mac and Windows systems. I have never had problems opening documents on either platform using Word or any of the other programs in Office.

ONE WAY TO DO IT
If you try to open a Word .doc file in Appleworks on a Mac, the files appear grey. At the bottom right in the Open Appleworks 6 dialogue box, select All Available where it says File Format. Now they work. As the file opens, you will see MacLinkPlus file conversion automatically reformatting the document into an Appleworks document with similar formatting. If you save it with Appleworks it will be a .cwk file that Windows Word cannot open. However, Appleworks does allow you select various File Formats in the Save dialogue box. If you remember to save it as a .doc file, the files you modify or create in Appleworks can be opened in Word on a Windows system.

THE MORE COMMON WAY TO DO IT
In my experience, the only people who use the above way of working are Mac purists who dislike Bill Gates and all the slowness and complexities, of Microsoft software. Since you already have so many formatted .doc files and you have grown accustomed to Word for Windows, I think your best solution is to install the Teacher Edition of Microsoft Office (including Word, Powerpoint, & Excel) for Mac ($130 from Amazon). I have been using Office on both platforms for about 15 years. By having Word on both computers, you only have to know how to use one program instead of two. With a G4 your computer will perform okay. The Mac includes some fonts that are not on most Windows systems, so if I send a document with fancy fonts, the other computer might make a surprising substitution.

>Will an iBook G4 run Adobe CS2?

Adobe makes all their programs for both platforms. Unfortunately, you have to purchase a copy of the teacher edition of Adobe CS for Mac.

If you find anything running slowly on the Mac, close all the programs you are not using and it often works faster. To close a program, just hold down the Apple key and hit the Q key.

TRANSFERING FILES
There are many ways to move files from you Dell to your iBook. To see your drive, folders, and files on your Dell, hold down the window key and hit the E key. A simple way to get them to the Mac is to use any kind of jump drive or digital photo card reader that plugs into the USB port, just drag folders and files from your Dell into the camera card or jump drive. Then plug it into the iBook and drag them where you want in the iBook. When ready to remove the USB device, drag it to the trash before unplugging it (the one counterintuitive thing on a Mac).

Enjoy the iBook. It is a sweet friend.

Marvin