[teacherartexchange] From PC to Mac

---------

From: Amy Broady (AmyBroady_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Feb 09 2006 - 02:48:44 PST

Good morning, all.

I had a wonderful package delivered to me Tuesday at the school from the
district Art Department--a brand new iBook G4. I haven't even broken the
seal on the box yet--I have been too tired to concentrate on anything for
any length of time. I have some form of bronchitis, I think. My voice is
scrarchy and weak, and I have a nagging cough at night. I don't even want to
open my box until I can dive in and getting it running and actually do
something on it! I am so excited!!!! (cough-cough cough)

I used Macs way back when I did my teacher training, and also in my first
job--in fact, I wrote a grant had had 5 Power Macs in my elementary computer
classroom back in the mid-90s. But I relocated the very next year, so I only
had the beginnings of a computer element in my art curriculum.

I can't remember when we (my husband and I) switched to a PC, but I am now
thoroughly used to my Dell computer. So I have to re-orient myself to the
Mac. (This is just a statement, not a complaint!)

I am thrilled to have this technology for my classroom, however, and love
that it is portable, so I can work at home or school.

Does anyone know if there is a simple way to put Word documents into a
Mac-friendly format? My new computer came with Appleworks, which I think is
what Clariswors developed into. (In my previous treavhing life I used
Clarisworks to design my seating charts and class record pages.) I am just
wondering if I am going to have to re-do all of my seating charts and class
lists, which I did on my PC, in order to have access to them in my
classroom.

The other option is just to keep all that on my home computer for now and
use the Mac for other classroom purposes.

Will an iBook G4 run Adobe CS2?

Well, I need to go hop in the shower--bus duty starts at 7:10 for me today.
Oh, joy! (Heh-heh--cough-cogh)

Have a happy Thursday,
Amy in TN
Proud, happy, clueless new possessor of an iBook. (Can't say I'm the
owner--it belongs to the district, I'm sure.)