Re:[teacherartexchange] essays/Stacie

---------

From: marcia (marciadotcom_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Feb 08 2006 - 18:17:20 PST

Stacie,
Honestly, I would not go through so much work for
those students. If they are not doing the work during
class time, I doubt they will do it outside of class.
For me, I would let kids do extra credit drawings, but
those kids were already doing the required work
anyway. They just wanted to turn their A- into an A.
As for sending a note home, I personally wouldn't go
through the trouble of creating a huge handout
explaining everything. Those notes often would get
tossed in a locker anyways. When I had a kid who was
seriously falling behind, I would tell the kid he/she
had to either (A) come in during their study hall, (B)
come in before or after school (C) come in during
lunch time or (D) they could take their project home
and work on it. If they did not choose any of those
options, then too bad, they earned their low grade.
If it was a special needs student, I would confer with
their special ed. teacher. If it was a student who
was just generally low or unmotivated, I might call
home and talk to the parent about what the student
needs to do to raise their grade. In general, if a
student put forth effort during class time, I would
never give them a failing grade. I wouldn't want a
low grade be the reason a student ended up with a
distaste for art and art making. Also, I found that a
little praise goes a long way. Even if it's something
like, "Wow, what a great table of hard workers." or "I
see some students that are really concentrating" as
you are walking amongst the students. If I catch a
really unmotivated student putting in an ounce of
effort I will praise them by saying something like,
"It looks like you are working hard right now. Keep
it up." You're not lying, they are working at that
moment. Anyways, good luck, these are just some of my
rambling thoughts. Marcia