Re: [teacherartexchange] ceramic curriculum/scheduling

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Feb 08 2006 - 15:50:44 PST

>Now I have some returning students and some new students in the
> same class. I even have a guest potter coming in twice a week to assist
> (especially the return students). It is going nowhere. Work isn't
> getting done, time is being wasted, we seem to be going in circles, and
> I am getting quite frustrated. As well as feeling like we are wasting
> the time of my visiting artist. Do any of you have multiple levels of
> ceramic students in one class? If so, how do you structure your class
> to be able to assist (supervise) both? What kind of projects do you
> have for returning students? And how much time do you give to complete
> projects?

I have multiple levels in all my middle school and high school art classes.
I have 2 types of lessons - those for my entry level, and the other for
returning students. My expectations for each assignment is based upon their
level. I give daily grades as well, which helps keep them on task. I base my
due dates upon those "middle of the road" students - the ones who work
diligently, but aren't the early finishers or the dwadlers. If they seem to
be dwadling as a whole then I just make the due date one that will force all
of them to sweat - and possibly come in before school to work. But the most
effective thing I've done is for those students who don't make effective use
of their time - a student must earn 75% of their daily points per week or
they owe me detention. The biggest challenge I have found with the multiple
levels is that your lower levels tend to be more immature, and they may
"psychologically" impact the upper levels into goofing off. If possible make
the levels sit together, and not intermingle, regardless of who their
friends are, if they are distracting each other.
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids