RE: [teacherartexchange] ceramic curriculum/scheduling

---------

From: Marvin Bartel (marvinpb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Feb 08 2006 - 10:43:03 PST

You wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>I need some advice. This is the second semester I am teaching ceramics (my forte is 2D). Last year I got some great suggestions . . . . . . how do you structure your class to be able to assist (supervise) both? What kind of projects do you have for returning students? And how much time do you give to complete projects?
>. . . .
>Judi Morgan

Too much freedom easily kills creativity. Do the second term students have a contract where they have set goals, specific tasks, deadlines, etc.? Could the visiting potter help them formulate practice routines, project goals, and contract terms? Do they have scheduled times when they need to show you and/or the potter how much they have completed? Do they need a weekly progress grade? Could you give them a list of tasks that must be completed by mid-term and by the end of the term?

If they are throwing, I would ask that they make at least five variations of the same form, trim all five, decorate all five, and dry them all, but fire only the best 2 out of 5 of each form that they attempt. They have to pick their best ones after consulting with others.

Second term students can learn to load and fire the kilns. They can be assigned to teach certain skills (loading and unloading kilns, preparing scrap clay, clay forming methods, glaze application, etc.) to beginning students if they are taught not to do it for them. Can the potter help them learn these teaching skills?

These web pages are for college level, but you may find some useful and challenging ideas.

12 bowl assignment
http://www.goshen.edu/art/DeptPgs/assign1.htm

learning to throw instructions
http://www.goshen.edu/~marvinpb/throw/cover39.html

throwing up assignment
http://www.goshen.edu/art/DeptPgs/assign2.htm

learning task list (signed by instructor as completed)
http://www.goshen.edu/art/DeptPgs/l-tasks.htm

advanced learning task list
http://www.goshen.edu/art/DeptPgs/adv-task.htm

first term syllabus