RE: [teacherartexchange] ceramic curriculum/scheduling

---------

From: Judi Morgan (judi.morgan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Feb 08 2006 - 09:04:41 PST

Hello all,

I need some advice. This is the second semester I am teaching ceramics
(my forte is 2D). Last year I got some great suggestions from all of
you for beginning this class and it went well. I basically had a chart
of building techniques/decorations/glazing techniques/clays/ finding
examples for a notebook with all the above that they had to work through
by a certain date (quarter), and then started with a new list for second
quarter. Now I have some returning students and some new students in the
same class. I even have a guest potter coming in twice a week to assist
(especially the return students). It is going nowhere. Work isn't
getting done, time is being wasted, we seem to be going in circles, and
I am getting quite frustrated. As well as feeling like we are wasting
the time of my visiting artist. Do any of you have multiple levels of
ceramic students in one class? If so, how do you structure your class
to be able to assist (supervise) both? What kind of projects do you
have for returning students? And how much time do you give to complete
projects?

I think that's all for now. Thanks in advance.

Judi Morgan
Saint George's School
2929 W. Waikiki Road
Spokane, WA 99208