[teacherartexchange] Need advise for painting lesson

---------

From: Joe Cox (bjcoxteachart_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Feb 06 2006 - 09:33:02 PST

Hello Everyone
I am in need of some advise. I have committed my beginning high school
students to an art contest/show where each student will do an acrylic
painting on a 24 x 30 stretched canvas. The sponsoring organization got
supplies donated to the teachers so this was an opportunity to receive free
supplies and I got 79 canvas, acrylic paints, lots of brushes, markers and
other assorted supplies. When I signed up I didn't realize that I would
receive such a nice donation, it is a bit overwhelming. The paintings the
students have to do is "Their Hero in Action". They have to paint someone
who is a living person or has lived that they feel is their hero. Now this
is a beginning art class so the skill levels vary greatly. Therefore, I am
having a hard time figuring out how to approach this lesson so that the
student won't feel overwhelmed. If you have any suggestions please send
them on I would love the help.

One other question. How do you keep students from wasting paint? For
example squeezing a whole puddle of paint when they only need a little bit
and then washing the what they don't use the drain?

Blessing,
Joe