Re: [teacherartexchange] art shows

---------

From: ceastman (ceastman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 05 2006 - 18:30:37 PST

stacie,
my district has a tradition of doing spring art shows in all the
elementaries plus a juried k-12 show at the public library. my school
wide shows (2) are held in conjunction with a PTA ice cream social, the
high school jazz band plays a couple of sets, and there are art
activities for kids to participate in. i hang a minimum of 2 pieces per
student. the art room houses an "installation" and i leave it up all
week so the kids can experience it during class. last year it was "the
octopus's garden" with fish and sea creatures hanging everywhere and
the paper "walls" covered with fish themed pictures, and fishy music
playing on my boom box. this year it will be a rainforest. i don't give
any awards.
it used to be that, even though i hung a ton of work, the kids did not
remember that there was an art exhibit at the ice cream social. then i
saw a sandy skoglund exhibit and tried the installation idea. ever
since then the kids have forgotten about the ice cream social and want
to know what the theme will be for the art show each year!
traditions evolve. i agree with the people who said start simple and
get a feel for what your population will enjoy most. if you want to get
more elaborate, cultivate a group of parent helpers because it does get
to be a lot of work to mat everything and display the pieces with
narratives about the lessons.
linda in michigan where the steelers are winning