[teacherartexchange] NAEA presentations

---------

From: Pam (pgstephens_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Feb 04 2006 - 14:50:18 PST

Wednesday 10 AM
Lydia Phelps, Denise Horton, and Maggie Smola
Give me a Meaningful Voice

These three art ed students from Northern AZ University will introduce the
importance of using sensitivity when dealing with cultural materials. Denise
was raised on the Navajo Reservation and brings some particularly
interesting insights.

Friday 11 AM
Lydia Phelps, Denise Horton, and Maggie Smola
Understanding the Sacred

This is an expanded version of the first presentation and will deal more
with the students' interviews with Navajo high school students and their
Hopi colleagues.

Saturday 8 AM
Pam Stephens and Nancy Walkup
Get Published!

Nancy is the editor of SchoolArts and I sit on the advisory board. We'll
cover guidelines for writing articles for publication in magazines and
journals plus give hints on how to get articles accepted. We'll also discuss
how we have been able to publish larger projects such as books, games,
posters, and videos. And of course we'll answer any and all questions.

Saturday 8 PM
Pam Stephens with Joan Lyttle and Lynn Tuttle
Navigating the Standards

Lynn is the arts coordinator from the AZ Department of Education and Joan is
a first-year teacher (one of my recent grad students). We'll detail a
statewide effort to bring as many art teachers as possible into the process
of revising the state visual arts standards. Part of our presentation will
be about an electronic survey that I developed, how that was administered,
and how the results informed the process.

Join us June 16 for the SchoolArts trip to Paris, Avignon, and the French
Riviera
For details, visit: http://www.artresourcesforteachers.com/2006Travel.html

Pamela G. Stephens, PhD
Northern Arizona University
Art Education
P.O. Box 6020
Flagstaff, AZ 86011-6020
928.523.2432 (voice mail) 928.523.3333 (fax)
Pamela.Stephens@nau.edu
http://www.cal.nau.edu/art/fac_pages/faculty_s.htm