Re: [teacherartexchange] Rolled Poly-Shrink Beads

---------

From: Amy Broady (AmyBroady_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Feb 04 2006 - 12:10:45 PST

What a great online resource, Judy. Those photos and examples are wonderful!
Thank you for bringing that to our attention; I had never seen those
examples before. I might need to go dig up my shrink plastic and heat tool!

I taught a class at the scrapbook store a couple of years ago that I called
"Rolling with the Punches: Fun with Shrink Plastic." Among other things, I
taught them how to roll shrink plastic into beads and pendants and we also
used large and small decorative punches to create embellishments for cards.
Shrink plastic and wire work well together. Don't forget to punch any holes
in the plastic before you shrink it.

Five more ideas to expand the topic:

1. Pendants can be formed by rolling the end of a long piece enough to
enclose a cord, but leaving the opposite end flat. Not a good idea with a
long pointy triangle (like is used for the bead), unless you round the
point!

2. Shrink plastic can be draped over a form while it is soft--like a wooden
knob, to give it some dimension. Or, you could heat shrink plastic with the
heat tool, but stop before it has flattened all the way, while it is still
all scrunchy and funny-looking. It will keep that funny form as it cools and
hardens.

3. Clear shrink plastic (colored with Sharpies) might a great medium for
tiny little Chihily-inspired forms.

4. You could add a few shrink plastic tiles to a mosaic project for variety.

5. Shrink plastic can be used as way to demonstrate saturation--the same
amount of pigment on a smaller surface is more intense, even though it is
the same hue.

Amy

Incredible Art Resources