Re: [teacherartexchange] Jeannie needs help with music/art connections lessons

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Feb 04 2006 - 09:15:29 PST

Jeannie,
        Jazz and art are always a beautiful combination for the
art classroom. The music has a soothing effect on students while
they are working. There are plenty of art exemplars out there
to choose from. Best of all is the connections that are made using
concepts like improvisation, style, composition, transition,
mood, etc. Art and jazz are a great mix. One of the lessons
from my CD is on line as a powerpoint at:
http://kancrn.kckps.k12.ks.us/rosedale/JazzCollageOnLine.htm
on my site as html at:
http://www.taospaint.com/Jazz_CollageUnit.html
We were fortunate that the Jazz Artists Stamps were being
issued at the same time we did the lesson. I took students
to the Jazz History Museum in Kansas City. We saw an exhibit
of the original art for the stamps. A local artist, Dean
Mitchell did four of the designs. I often played Jazz when
students were working on other lesson as well.
        Our Middle School had a great music department.
I shot pics of the band class to use in art for drawing
assignments. We also had a performance of the High School
Jazz Band at our school. I timed our Jazz/Collage lesson
to follow the performance. Best of luck in finding lots
of art and music connections to motivate your students.
        I believe that you are looking for short lessons.
I doubt anything we did was short. But, I did try to tie
a long list of short lessons into a logical sequence.
Each portion of my long lessons were interconnected.
                                Good Luck, Woody

--
35 Quality Middle School Art Lessons
Ordering Address: PO Box 91703