[teacherartexchange] Romare Bearden - and Wynton and Branford Marsalis -Jazz

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Feb 04 2006 - 07:56:12 PST

Hi Jeannie and all,

When you get to Jazz - use Romare Beardon and Wynton and Branford Marsalis.

Wynton narrates the video "Visual Jazz" (which is excellent). I think
there is a more recent video out now, too.

Branford Marsalis did the CD to accompany the 2003 exhibit: Romare
Beardon Revealed.
http://www.branfordmarsalis.com/branford/pbuild/linkbuilder.cfm?selection=doc.223
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1428038

Bearden had a close relationship with the Marsalis brothers - and
wrote one of the pieces ("Seabreeze") on the CD.

Many of Bearden's works were given song titles.

Bearden also wrote and illustrated a children's book.

Romare Bearden Resources:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/Bearden.htm

I highly recommend purchasing a Bearden video and Jazz CD. I had a CD
that I used that had Bearden's work on the CD Cover. You could have
students do a Jazz Collage - using assorted musical instruments. I
have a lesson on line. It was a very easy lesson to do - only took a
few class periods.

Regards,

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department