Re: [teacherartexchange] Jeannie needs help with music/art connections lessons

---------

From: ceastman (ceastman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Feb 04 2006 - 01:53:06 PST

helen frankenthaler and david hockney both painted backdrops for
performances and i think canaletto began his career as a set painter.
wassily kandinsky was also a musician.
"Kandinsky, himself an accomplished musician, once said Color is the
keyboard, the eyes are the harmonies, the soul is the piano with many
strings. The artist is the hand that plays, touching one key or
another, to cause vibrations in the soul. The concept that color and
musical harmony are linked has a long history, intriguing scientists
such as Sir Isaac Newton. Kandinsky used color in a highly theoretical
way associating tone with timbre (the sound's character), hue with
pitch, and saturation with the volume of sound. He even claimed that
when he saw color he heard music." from
http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/kandinsky/
linda in mich