[teacherartexchange] Jeannie needs help with music/art connections lessons

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Feb 03 2006 - 13:26:07 PST

Dear Teacher Art Exchange Members,

Jeannie's post won't go through - so I am posting it for her.

She is co-teaching art/general music with the band director.

From Jeannie:

The Band Director and I have come up with a brilliant plan on
coteaching our general art/general music classes. Today was Day 1 and
it went great, we just talked about general stuff and how to the two
are related on occasion, etc. etc..

Now... next week we are going to introduce different time periods each
day and have the kids listen to examples and show them art examples
and do little excercises.
She wants to do a general project (I am not good at quick and easy
general projects, I like long and intensive). So.... I need your
ideas. This is for the middle school, 8th graders.

Does anyone out there know of any composers that were friends with
artists? I would like to generate a list so that the kids can create
posters. I would like for these posters to be amazing... the challenge
is that we are combining the classes and my room "overflow-eth".
Whatever project needs to have simple clean up and be easy enough
(yet interesting) for the band Director to follow as well. Please
help!

I hope someone out there will spark the dead lightbulb in my head.
Have a super weekend!

Jeannie in GA
Jeannie here is one idea from me. Have the students design and make a
musical instrument. It must make a sound and be pleasing to look at.
This would tie in science, too. Sound is studied in the 8th grade
science curriculum around here.
The instrument could be culturally inspired. Students would be
responsible for their own materials. Much of it could be a homework
assignment. This wouldn't be a quick/short lesson - it could stretch
over several days - it does fit the bill for "general" project.

Have student brainstorm words that are used in both art and music.
Make a list - see who came up with the most words. Here is a page I
started (just to give you an idea):
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/art-music.htm

Judy