[teacherartexchange] Music of Africa - site from BBC

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Feb 03 2006 - 08:51:19 PST

Dear Art Educators,

Some of you might be interested in this site that was listed in the
Scout Report.

3. Echoes of Africa [Real Player]
http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/features/africa/

Africa's contributions to music around the world are numerous, ranging from
the griots of West Africa that later wove their way into the musical idiom
known as the "blues" to the influence of Ladysmith Black Mambazo on Paul
Simon. This special site created by the BBC offers musical clips and
information about musical instruments across this vast continent....
First-time visitors to the site can select a geographical region of
Africa to begin their musical exploration, and then proceed to learn
about the various wind and percussion instruments within each region.
......[KMG]

>From The Scout Report, Copyright Internet Scout Project 1994-2006.
http://scout.wisc.edu/

You will need Real Player in order to listen to the sound clips.

Since this may be a temporary feature on the BBC site, I will not be linking it.

Here is a page where you will find many links to sites for African Music:
http://www-sul.stanford.edu/depts/ssrg/africa/music.html
Many of the other links on the Echoes of Africa page are misdirected.

Also of interest....

See Eye Level Smithsonian Art Blog:
http://eyelevel.si.edu/

Scroll down to James Hampton's Throne installation.

Regards,

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/